|

Thursday, September 21, 2006

A saint he ain't




Actually, the latter 2/3 of Chavez's UN speech is pretty good. He highlighted the fact that the US (and others) sat conspicuously on their hands while Israel destroyed a neighboring country for absolutely no reason, and that the UN too often serves as a venue for an American dog-and-pony show whenever a thin veneer of pseudo-legitimacy for the crime du jour becomes politically unavoidable. And I think he is, in a way, serious about internationalism. But until he stops cozying up to every anti-American autocrat he stumbles across on his self-promoting trots across the globe and jettisons his own authoritarian tendencies, I won't consider him much more than a vessel for my skepticism.

I could mention that Chavez has actually done some good for the average Venezuelan, and that calling Bush a devil on his home turf is at least as amusing as it is goofy... but if I start to get too even-handed, the above pictorial editorial (which I conceived in an intense five-second brainstorm) will begin to...

lose air?






All week. I'll be here all week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home