|

Monday, September 04, 2006

From the "not that you care" dept.

According to the Sub Pop site, Wolf Eyes (who's, like, the biggest underground band in the world at the moment) has been covering a No Fucker song live. "So what!" you exclaim. "I come here to be amused, not confused!" Fair enough. I mention this only because No Fucker is one of only three established US bands that I know of doing the blown-out Japanese punk thing - the other two being Aghast and Lebenden Toten from Portland. (We did play with a band in Long Beach who was doing this style as well, but I think they're new and I forget their name anyway.) No Fucker is from Utica, NY, and take their name from the thanks list in some Discharge record where it just says "thanks to no fucker" (get it?). They're an odd combo: one dude who's 35-40 and three kids in the 17-22 neighborhood. (The older guy recently lost a battle with a power saw and, sadly, can't play guitar any more, though he still sings.) We've played shows with them in Utica, Albany, and Richmond. They ape the long-running Japanese band Disclose, who in turn is Discharge worship with the distortion upped by a factor of 10. I like both bands a lot. Anyway, it's just odd to see such a small degree of separation between the world of Wolf Eyes/Sub Pop and our little uber-niche corner of the punk world.

Now, in fairness to you, the reader, I'll use this space to mention a couple of serial installments I've been thinking of laying down here that you might actually find enjoyable. One will be for reviews of new music I pick up. The other, which will be more labor-intensive (and hence, less likely to appear regularly, ha) would be a "my life in music" kind of thing, tracing what has been far and away the most important thread in my life from the age of four or five to the present. This may give you reason to stay tuned, even if you don't care about the likes of Wolf Eyes or No Fucker (your loss)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home