|

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Put down that Pitchfork for a minute

I might have a hookup for $20 tickets, but you should be willing to shell out $25 anyway. A Bulgarian choral folk troupe performing under the moniker Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares is coming to DC on Saturday, March 4. Recording under that name, this 24-woman ensemble won a Grammy in 1990. I found the record at Second Story Books a couple months ago, and it's amazing. You're all invited to come over and listen to it. The voicing is so clear and powerful and haunting, I can't compare it to anything else I've ever heard. There is some additional orchestration on the album, but the performance will be a capella. If any of you punks have listened to Catharsis' Passion album, then you've heard traditional Bulgarian singing in the samples in "Sabbat." For quite a while, I had no idea what the hell it was, but I thought it was incredible. Then I caught some NPR program on Bulgarian singing and got wise. Finding the Mystere record was really exciting, and I have no problem throwing down big bucks to see the group live. Seriously, let me know if you're in. All the info you need is here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home