|

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Organized sound will bankrupt me

Raise your hand if your love of music expands faster than your bank account. Good, I'm not alone then. While I don't hold it against friends o' mine who, say, buy all 20 discs of the Fugazi live CD series primarily to listen to the between-song banter (you know who you are and you know I'm not that jealous), it would be nice not to feel like I've been going overboard on music purchases - which I have recently.

Ok, I think that's a sufficiently responsible display of remorse, so onto the rock...

[Before I go any further, I have to plug the CD I'm listening to right now by a band called Barbara. Yes, they're a heavy bass and drum duo. Yes, they're Israeli. Yes, this is a live recording called A Blessing From the Angel of Death. And yes, it includes a song called "Hotdog." Pissed off, intense, even catchy, this recording kills.]

Barbara and other heavy stuff that continues to steal my heart notwithstanding, I've been drawn more and more to the mellower side of things, particularly in the electronic camp. People cooler than I have probably known about the fabulous French label Gooom for a while now, but I'm a bit of a johnny-come-lately when it comes to hip indie stuff. I'm only about ankle-deep in their catalog thus far, but I'm hooked. Their records are distributed domestically, which is good news for my ears and bad news for my pockets.

Also worth mentioning in the lazy/glitchy/poppy realm is the German label Morr, whose website features tons of their artists' streaming songs. As far as good old norteamericano music, I can't stop listening to Alias's trip-hop masterpiece Muted, and have been keeping mellow/moody indie rock such as Karate and Songs:Ohia in heavy rotation. In the spirit of "make new friends but keep the old," I've also been sending my hard-earned wage units to the likes of Hardcore Holocaust, Dead Alive, and Robotic Empire.

Last but certainly not least, I finally placed and received my first order from the underground gods and goddesses at SF's Aquarius Records, which I've already raved about on this page. That little package brought me the Barbara CD; the new El-P CD Collecting the Kid, which is a collection of some of his non-album and side project stuff and makes for pretty smooth listening (much less bombastic than Fantastic Damage); the newest Cyann and Ben disc (see Gooom above!), which is phenomenal dark rock/pop with plenty of piano and keyboards; and a disc of the late Italian composer/musician Luciano Cilio's pieces from about 25 years ago, which are somber, minimalistic, folk-inspired works from a troubled artist who killed himself at the age of 33. The sound clips from this record on the Aquarius site really grabbed me.

Oh, and I'm supposed to be getting an education in Swedish music in the mail from a certain dog-loving feral cat. Free CDr's crossing the Atlantic in my direction would help excuse my paying for shipping for his limited edition LP that's hanging out over in Deutschland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home