|

Monday, October 11, 2004

How I amuse myself on a Monday

1. Reading a new band described as "Napalm Death on a shetland pony." That should be funny even if you aren't familiar with Napalm Death or Shetland ponies.

2. Seeing that veteran baseball player Ken Caminiti died yesterday from a heart attack and remembering very clearly watching the first game he ever played, which was for the Houston Astros and against the Phillies, my home team. This was back when I was an avid follower of the game, late 80s/early 90s. Who knows how the brain decides which useless nuggets of information to keep and which to discard, but if you go back to the box score from that game, I guarantee you will find that the Astros won and that Caminiti tripled and homered.

3. Christopher Reeve also passed yesterday, inspiring a recollection of a story my dad recounted to me of the time his population organization honored Christopher Reeve basically for being famous and an advocate for progressive causes, and Reeve spent a good portion of his speech bashing the Catholic Church - always a worthy and necessary endeavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home