|

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

To hold you over: 2007 Honorable Mentions, part 1

The Top 10 has finally been whittled down (I think), but I still need to write about all the albums and download a few of them so I can upload them for you all. But in the meantime, here are some pretty darn good albums from the last year that I would encourage you to check out if you have not already done so. You're gonna have to track them down yourself or borrow them from me though, no downloads in this batch.

Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury

I am well aware that this album came out in 2006, but the fact of the matter is I slept on it then and ended up spending the first half of 2007 listening to it over and over and over. So incredibly good. If I had been on top of it a year ago, it would have been #3 or 4 on my last top 10.

Burial - Untrue

When I heard there was a new Burial album coming out, I assumed it would end up nestled somewhere in my top 5. Not so, as you can see. Untrue is a little too dance-oriented for me. It lacks the creepiness of its predecessor (#3 on last year's list), and I'm not too into all the vocals this time around. Nonetheless, it's good, and it will get more listens around these parts. I would like to take this opportunity to vent about Hyperdub's decision to alter the vinyl editions of the Burial albums from the CD versions. The LP's are targeted at dj's, so the tracks are resequenced and the more ambient/beatless tracks are cut out. That sucks for those of us who would rather listen to Burial in our bedrooms than in some club, and it's kept me from (so far) purchasing Untrue.

El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead

Fantastic Damage was for hip-hop fans with double-jointed brains. I'll Sleep When You're Dead is more accessible, but I think critics who said that makes it a more "mature" record are privileging cohesiveness of sound over ambition of lyrical and musical ideas. I'll Sleep... has three or four excellent songs, but most of my favorite El-P tracks and lyrics come from FanDam.

Iron Lung - Sexless//No Sex

This is as close as any punk/hardcore record is getting to my top 10 this year. (Last year Kylesa was the lone representative unless you still consider Isis primarily a hardcore band, which is a stretch at this point.) These guys are head and shoulders above most contemporary fastcore/powerviolence. More heaviness and less goofiness is the key here. Completely in the vein of all their previous output (they're accreting an intimidating discography), but a notch above. Nice dudes as well. Check out guitarist Jon's noise/drone project Pig Heart Transplant if you're into that sort of thing.

Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
Just spinning this for the second time right now. It's a return to the form of 2005's brilliant Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett: dark orchestral parts peppered with signature drill-n-bass. I can't imagine any of his work topping that album, but I do love the vibe he created there and it's present again here. Recommended.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

since i made this post friends-only:

AOTY 2007 (rough descending order, fav to growing)

Spoon -- Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Feist -- The Reminder
PJ Harvey -- White Chalk
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jose Gonzales -- In Our Nature
Noisettes -- What's the Time Mr. Wolf?
Low -- Drums & Guns
!!! -- Myth Takes
Manu Chao -- La Radiolina
Weakerthans -- Reunion Tour
Me'Shell Ndegeocello -- The World Has Made Me the Man of My Dreams
MIA -- Kala
Tinariwen -- Aman Iman
Caribou -- Andorra
Cafe Tacuba -- Si/No
The Forms -- s/t
Meshell Ndegeocello -- The World Has Made Me the Man of My Dreams
Meneguar -- Strangers in our house
Manu Chao -- La Radiolina
Food for Animals -- Belly
Georgie James -- Places
Daft Punk -- Alive 2007
Kenna -- Make Sure They See My Face
Carol Bui -- Everyone Wore Wight
Subtle -- Yell&Ice
Chuck Brown -- We're About the Business
Burial -- Untrue
The Studio -- Yearbook 1
Battles -- Mirrored
Antelope -- Reflector

for y'all who aren't yet down with revolutionary malian band Tinariwen:
Check this short instore performance/interview
(vid's not embedding correctly, lo siento...)


SOTY 2007 (same)

Radiohead -- 15 Step
Spoon -- You got yr. cherry bomb
Jose Gonzalez -- Down the line
Feist -- The water
Batles -- Atlas
Radiohead -- Reckoner
TV on the Radio -- Dumb animal
Feist -- I feel it all
Low -- Breaker
The Noisettes -- IWE
Spoon -- Black like me
The National -- Fake empire
Spoon -- Rhthm & soul
The Weakerthans -- Tournament of hearts
Radiohead -- Jigsaw falling into place
Me'shell Ndegeocello -- Article 3
Low -- Always fade
The Noisettes -- Scratch your name
Arcade Fire -- Neon bible
Jose Gonzalez -- How low
PJ Harvey -- The devil
Eddie Vedder -- Rise
Deerhoof -- +81

i encourage the use of Hype, YouTube and Deezer.


JOTY 2007 (same)

Chris Brown ft. T-Pain -- Kiss kiss
Robyn -- Be mine!
Justice -- D.A.N.C.E.
Ciara -- Like a boy
!!! -- Must be the moon
Chris Brown -- Wall to wall
Amerie -- Hate 2 love u
K-Os -- flyPaper
Kanye West -- Stronger
El-P -- The overly dramatic truth
MIA -- Boyz
Cassie -- Is it you
Modeselektor ft. Thom Yorke -- The white flash
LCD Soundsystem -- North American scum
The Go! Team -- Grip like a vice
Amerie -- Gotta work
Joy Denalane ft. Lupe Fiasco -- Change
Talib Kweli -- Listen!!!
Justice -- Phantom
Chuck Brown ft. DJ Kool -- Block party
Kelly Rowland ft. Eve -- Like this

this video is the verdadero JOTY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xz8FXgLpI4

11:45 PM  
Blogger Winslowleach said...

CLIPSE!!! What? Only honorable mention? I respond with four words "Rat-at-at-at!" Now, rap about that..

1:23 AM  
Blogger John said...

I only heard the new PJ Harvey once, and it was in the background, but it sounded pretty good. Probably should have given it more consideration. Haven't given "In Rainbows" a proper listen either.

Clipse gets an honorable mention as an acknowledgment that I skipped over them last year. Not a 2007 album, so it can't be ranked.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home