|

Monday, July 19, 2004

The sound of music

What have I been listening to? Funny you should ask...
 
Respira "This Is Not What You Had Planned" CDep - top-notch rockin' melodic tunes from CA that should satisfy indie-lovers and folks of a poppier persuasion. Go to their site to listen to some of this record and be sure to check out their earlier full-length on Exotic Fever. Great live set recently in Maryland with Homage to Catalonia, Pash, and Irradio (don't know Irradio's web address; suffice it to say they sound like a less aggressive At the Drive In).
 
"Where is my robotic boot?" HHR vs 2HR double CD comp - Recently released by Hydra Head Records, this showcases some of the more typical HHR metal/hardcore/grind fare and some noise artists that fall under the umbrella of label offshoot Double H Noise Industries. Funny thing is, most of the bands featured here haven't actually released anything on Hydra Head. I was hoping for more from this comp. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that the noise disc really is just noise, not beat-oriented electronica. Although I think I should be forgiven for this misperception after having seen that this disc has two Kid606 tracks. But they're pretty much arhythmic. And the second disc isn't much to write home about either. Standouts are Monotonos on the noise disc and Jan Michael Vincent Car Crash and Orthrelm on the band disc. I like JMVCC here more than I did when I saw them five or so years ago, heavier and darker and less jazzy/spazzy than I remember them. I don't think they've been an active band for a while. Orthrelm is one dude doing guitar gymnastics and another dude matching him beat for beat on the drums. Ungodly musicianship. Overall verdict? Wait for this one to come out in paperback.
 
Arsis "A Celebration of Guilt" - This hot piece of plastic is in the player as I type. About a month ago I ordered an At the Gates CD, but it was out of stock and I ended up with this instead. Lucky me. This disc kills. It's a perfect blend of melodic metal and death metal, and blackened to boot. If it were the law for all metal riffs to be catchy and brutal, Arsis would never go to jail or even be stopped for questioning. According to their website, they're a three-piece now, but this album was recorded by just two guys. One more great band from the state of Virginia.
 
Isis "Oceanic Remixes Volume 2" 12" - Not for general consumption, this 12" series being done by Robotic Empire is for people who love Isis. Like me. Three remixes here of tracks from their last full length. The standout is the Justin Broadrick (formerly of Godflesh) remix which takes up all of the second side. If you want to check out Isis but have never heard them, start with "Oceanic." It's heavy, but it's their most accessible record.
 
I've also been rocking out to various metal mp3's with comrade Bryan. See my previous post for more info.
 
Baroness, Forensics, and Medic live tonight. 1905, Amanda Woodward and more live tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Fortune cookie be lyin' its ass off.

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home