|

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Learn something every day

I don't pay all that much attention to pop culture, and while I do own and use a cell phone, I'm not up to speed on the ring tone phenomenon. Kojo's talking about it on his show today, and I'm learning quite a bit. For starters, the ring tone industry is a $4 billion business. Let me go ahead and repeat that. $4 billion. Apparently the music industry (ie big labels and their, ahem, "artists") is making a killing off pop songs being downloaded onto cell phones. One of the guests on the show mentioned a site called Xing Tone, where you can buy software that allows you to create your own ring tones from music files on your computer. As the guest mentioned, the phone and music industries, which reap the profits of ring tone purchases, are worried this sort of technology could lead to the Napsterization of ring tones.

That website again: Xing Tone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home