|

Monday, June 28, 2004

The rock, the roll

My band was fortunate enough to play with couple of stand-out acts last night. FORCA MACABRA, who unfortunately were able to play only a short set, do ripping Brazilian-style metallic thrash - but they're from Finland! Really impressive. And APHASIA, a female-fronted crust band from Pittsburgh, was amazing. Look for them in DC in August...

Today's work playlist:

DJ Shadow "Endtroducing..." I only dabble in electronic music, but, Portishead's "Dummy" (my favorite album of all time) notwithstanding, I think one would be hard pressed to find a better trip-hop record. Actually, "trip-hop" is too narrow a term for Shadow, but "Endtroducing..." is packed with chill head-bobbers - some faster, some slower. I remember first hearing a track off the album on my college radio station, and I liked it, but some time later I watched a dance performance set to the opening song, "Building Steam With a Grain of Salt," and my jaw was in my lap. Shadow's a wizard with layering samples, especially from recordings with acoustic instruments. All of the songs are complex and interesting and often lush, and he has a drummer's sensibilty for assembling beats. I consider this essential listening.

Hiretsukan "Invasive//Exotic" Saw these folks here in the District earlier this year. I hadn't heard them before, and I was really impressed. The intensity of their live show comes through on this ep. They play heavy melodic hardcore that's led by amazing screamed female vocals. They keep their songs short and sweet, and they cover Metallica's "Creeping Death." Enough said.

Acursed "Livet Ar Den Langsta Vagen Till Helvetet" Acursed isn't as big a name as some Scandi-core bands, but they should be. They have the punch of a band like Victims, but with more complex riffs and more metal. There are a lot of parts on this album without any vocals, and Acursed is musically interesting enough to keep your interest through it all. I'm not punk enough to be able to tell you anything about their other releases, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a blanket recommendation.

Del Cielo "Wish and Wait" My favorite DC band! Catchy-as-hell rock with some attitude and a definite punk sensibility. And they're great ladies. They've got a bunch of songs ready to record for a second album, and you can check out the demos here. Actually, before I listen to "Wish," I might just do that myself.

1 Comments:

Blogger ADD said...

"crust" band? what do that mean?

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home